Monday, August 11, 2008

 

The space inside the mug

Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about where I've placed some of my commitments. The biggest ones being financial. I'm going to start this by saying that I'm not doing poorly, I'm not hard up for money, and I'm definitely A-OK with the bank. It's more that I'm starting to feel certain things are more and more frivolous. Somewhere along the line several weeks ago I got the "downsizing" bug and it hasn't let itself go. I keep pondering about selling my car and ending all the monthly expenditures that go along with it. It isn't that I don't like it, and it isn't that it isn't a hell of a fun car, it's just that I recognize despite all those things I'm fundamentally happier when those funds are unallocated. I easily lose touch with the fact I'm happier being *capable* of affording a nice car, rather than *actually* owning a nice car.

The next calendar year has the two exciting potential trips back to Asia- one to China, the other to Japan. As it stands right now, that would be somewhat difficult to swing unless I started saving right now and only did that for the next 8 months minimum. I know me, and that just doesn't sound all that likely. On top of that there is the very real, and very possible, relocate to Vancouver toward the end of next year. If I'm living downtown in a city with a public transit grid, not only would I not need my car, it would be prohibitive just to keep it. Am I talking myself into getting rid of it early?

Yes, I realize my wants are fickle. I've always known that so I've also factored it into most of my decisions so that I have easy exit strategies later on. My car is no exception. More than anything I fear being rebuked for wanting to simplify things on a larger level like this. I feel like I won't have support and I'll expend more energy trying to double-back on past statements and trying to appear consistent when I would much, much rather have people just say "I understand. Your thinking isn't completely unjustified. Things change and you've adapted in a way that makes sense for you. I support this decision."

As it stands I have number of projects I want to finish on my house, I want to be able to travel to Asia again next year, I want to have a stronger sense of financial security and the shortest path to all of these goals certainly looks like releasing the second largest expense I have. I am not my possessions, but am I prepared to deal with the social BS that may follow?

Comments:
If me and Ruger need to take care of any knee caps, you just point us in the right direction. =)
 
I can hear the fightclub references shouting out loud.... I am not my neat Ikea furniture, I am not my wallet. Find your power animal and do what you need to do. I too look to move and possibly transform (downsize is such a negative word these days) my possessions into something that is more accommodating to what I need.
 
My dad is in Japan right now!

As for downsizing, there's nothing wrong with that. Dan and I have been toying with becoming minimalists - stuff is just stuff and it only serves to fill an emotional void. If we ever really wanted to just pick up and leave, it would be a pain because we have lots of STUFF to take care of. So in a very roundabout way I am giving my support! :-p
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?